2013 Vision

My goal as an educator in 2013 is to provide a safe and secure community environment where learners engage in contemporary practices to develop their full potential as active global citizens following Christ’s example.

Trying to put what I believe and strive to provide for the students in our school into one sentence was challenging. Working as part of a community over the past two years has changed my teaching dramatically and I knew that my vision needed to reflect this. 

Maslow developed a hierarchy of needs and I have chosen the words ‘safe’ and ‘secure’ as representing the satisfaction of those needs that allow learners to participate fully within a classroom environment.

Contemporary practices refers to the way in which teaching has changed significantly.  No longer is “chalk and talk” or the teacher being “the sage on stage” relevant as the dominant strategies.  If a learner is not seeing the relevance to their life here and now, why would they want to learn?

Another reference to Maslow and the triangle of needs is seen in the words “full potential”.  If all of the general lower needs are fulfilled – physiological, safety, belongingness and esteem, then a person can move onto self-actualization or reaching their full potential.  This highlights the interconnected nature of what we do in the classroom.

Long gone are the days of me teaching my students within the four walls of the classroom.  Whilst we have moved to communities it is moving even beyond that.  Through our blogging journey last year we began to highlight the global nature of learning.

Tying this all together we have Christ’s example to follow.  He did things not because He was told, but rather because He believed they were the right thing to do. 

This is what I want for the students of St Elizabeth’s in 2013.

2 thoughts on “2013 Vision

1. Bec, I really liked the way you explained Contemporary practices. Gone are the days of chalk and talk and thank goodness for that! I couldn’t even imagine going back to facing the teacher and sitting in rows.

I would love nothing more than to be a child learning and finding out what excites them. Being able to find out together with the children and challenging each other is inspiring.

Blogging has certainly opened our minds and connected us to the outside world. We are all on a very exciting journey!

• Hi Elisabetta,

The good news is that we are just like the children, always learning. We too can be finding new sources of excitement in our lives as educators. You are very right when you say that we are on a very exciting journey, most likely a journey that does not have a finite destination!

Bec