What are the strategies that impact positively on a teacher’s ability to transform learning?
ICT combined with best practice can provide opportunities to transform the learning of all.
Needs of the modern learner.
Using data & evidence to support personalised learning: Cumulative
Parents as active partners in student learning: Real time
What does it look like if we are moving towards transformation?
- Unlocking people’s potential to maximise their own performance
- Helping them learn rather than teaching them. Timothy Gallway
- Focus on future possibilites, not past mistakes.
- The inner game: A coach recognises that the internal obstacles are often more daunting than the external ones. J Whitmore: Coaching for Performance.
What does this mean? You need to really get inside someone’s head and work out what is stopping them from reaching their full potential. There is a need to f0cus on the future rather than dwelling on past mistakes.
A coach is not:
- a problem-solver
- a teacher
- an advisor
- an instructor
- an expert
It is about asking the right questions to help somebody think their way through something. You are not providing the answers, just a way to reach them. It is the power of questioning that helps someone work out goals and actions.
Growth Coaching International: work with leaders and teams in organisations to help them get the results they want.
Solutions Focus Coaching: The Centre for Solutions Focus at Work.
International Coach Federation (ICF): core competencies and code of ethics
Using questions that compel attention got an answer, focus attention for precision, and create a feedback loop.
Image from Growth Coaching
When someone makes their own goals, set their own actions and know another coaching session is coming up in the future where they will have to discuss this they take more responsibility as they own it.
Solutions Focus Coaching
This emphasises the solution rather than the problem, the future rather than the past.
Last news update on CEVN was at the start of the year
- Transformation Agenda: examples of practice (student, teacher, leader)
- ILEG (ICON Learning Expert Group): provide input into the tasks
- Learning System to Track, Assess & Report on student learning: provide input into functional requirements
- Research into learning tools for Collaboration; Use, Creation and Sharing of Content: provide information in relation to how Google Apps are being used to support powerful learning
- Support & Implementation Program: provide feedback on what support schools will need & how to develop a plan